Claims Supervisor - Traditional BI
Supervise a claim unit by providing technical and general management for assigned staff.
- Interview prospective employees, identify the best candidate for the position, and make salary and hiring recommendations.
- Maintain appropriate staffing levels by monitoring monthly reports. This requires analysis of productivity and inventory levels within the assigned claims unit.
- When necessary, participate in the termination of assigned personnel. This will typically require the administration of short-term objectives/performance improvement plans.
- Provide employees with performance objectives and monitor their progress during the year by reviewing timeliness of first contacts and closings, productivity and quality.
- Participate in the annual performance evaluation and salary administration process. This includes completion of performance and promotability assessments, salary recommendations, and written performance evaluations.
- Complete quarterly file reviews to evaluate file quality and adherence to established company standards; provide feedback to staff. Review open claim files, closed claim files, and payments for each adjuster per quarter as determined by company procedures.
- Maintain a supervisory diary as determined by the experienced level of the adjuster and complexity of the file. Files with reserves greater than the adjuster settlement or write-off authority, and those involving coverage issues, potential fraud or unusual circumstances, should be maintained on diary.
- Reviews files for reserve and settlement authority.
- Participate in Large Loss Reviews by preparing staff for and addressing questions at the meeting. Oversee the preparation of write-ups for all claims files determined to be large losses. Such write-ups should address coverage, facts, damages, and an action plan. Adjusters are required to discuss large loss files and address the questions of senior management.
- Monitor compliance with state fair claims practices acts. Ensure that adjusters are knowledgeable of such acts and document the requirements of each state in the claim file.
- Adhere to Litigation Management Program guidelines. This includes confirming required letters were sent to insureds and defense attorneys, litigation plans have been established, billing requirements are being followed, and pre-trial conferences are scheduled as needed.
- Monitor customer service levels by tracking complaints and taking remedial action, as necessary.
- Elevate service related issues to management in a timely manner with an action plan for resolution.
- Provide training to new and existing employees depending on their level of experience. This process utilizes the department online claims manual, available training materials, attendance at required training sessions, and learning established claims handling procedures.
- Manage adjuster licensing and required continuing education for staff.
- Manage special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university with 5 or more years of insurance claims experience.
- Knowledge in general liability, commercial liability, public transportation, trucking and cargo, workers' compensation, and physical damage insurance claim handling as applicable to the claim unit assigned.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred but not required.
- Advanced degree or professional designation is a plus.
- Must be able to direct the activities of an assigned claim unit to achieve the goals of customer service, severity control, expense control, and employee development.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret insurance contracts, legal documents, technical procedures, and/or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers, attorneys, and management.
- Strong communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must have strong analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Travel Requirements: 1-10%
Reports To: Vice President, Claims
Job Level: 10
Number of Openings: 1
|Submit Your Resume|